Dec 15, 2006

Nick Anderson & Man of the Year





I’ll be the first to admit that it’s getting more and more difficult to produce unique editorial cartoons while suffering from Bush fatigue. The guy literally wrote the cartoons for years. My buddy, Nick Anderson nailed it with the cartoon above. He was kind enough to let me post it here. Nick, who draws for the Houston Chronicle, draws mostly on the computer.

Nick is also the winner of last years Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Cartooning. You can view his winning portfolio HERE.

CORRECTION: I made an "oops" initially when I said, "No paper except for an initial pencil sketch to get editor approval. No ink. No watercolors. No rules. The guy is a prolific madman." Well, I did mean the part about him being a prolific madman without rules. Nick sent the email below to explain his modified and unique process. He was kind enough to let me post it here.



Justin, you're blog is really cool, I especially liked the fish sketches!
Funny stuff.

Thanks for the shout-out. It's an honor to be on your blog. Just one
correction: the headline should read "Nick Anderson: Man of the Year" not
"Nick Anderson AND Man of the Year."
:)

Actually, I do have one clarification; I'm no longer 100% digital. I
noticed that drawing on the Cintiq monitor was taking a little longer. So
now I draw a detailed sketch on tracing paper, tape a piece of tracing
vellum over the top of it and ink on the vellum. It's faster and more
ergonomic than a light board, and is a more natural way to draw than with a
computer monitor.

I don't do all the "ink" in real ink. I scan in the basic line work into
Photoshop, then create another layer and do a lot of the cross-hatching and
shading on a separate layer. That way, I can erase it easily if I don't
like it.

Then I pull the line work into Painter and do the color there. The Cintiq
monitor really saves time when working in color. It's a lot less cumbersome
than working with a tablet.

Anyway, have a great weekend and keep up the good work!

Your pal,

Nick
--
Nick Anderson
http://blogs.chron.com/nickanderson




More about Nick and his cartoon can be seen HERE.

In other less interesting news, Time magazine is once again doing their “Person of the Year” Award that generally goes to the popular kid in the class. Time Magazine’s picks for this year blow my mind. They are, and I’m not making this up:


1. George W. Bush
2. Condoleezza Rice
3. Kim Jong Il
4. Al Gore
5. Nancy Pelosi
6. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
7.Hugo Chavez
8. Chad Hurley and Steve Chen (The YouTube guys)

0 comments: